How To Design Sturdy Furniture With MDF Boards Or Plywood
Medium Density Fiberboard and plywood have their own advantages and disadvantages. When it comes to home interiors and design, Medium Density Fiberboard is used as a base for making kitchen units and modular furniture like beds, TV units, and wardrobes.
Both MDF and plywood are materials that can be used to create furniture. Before making a decision, you should take a few things into consideration. In this article, we will compare the two materials and discuss their advantages and disadvantages.
What is MDF?
MDF is a form of engineered wood that comes from binding together different types of wood, like plywood does. MDF is a popular choice for furniture because it is strong and can be painted or stained to match any décor. It has a smooth texture and provides a smooth finish when paired with laminates. MDF is cheaper than plywood, but it isn’t as strong; under heavy weight, MDF will bend. As a result, MDF board furniture or modules are better used indoors, not outdoors.
Advantages of MDF Board Furniture
MDF is a good choice if you want your furniture to last longer and be less likely to break.
Here are some advantages of using MDF:
- MDF is a very strong furniture material. It is able to withstand a lot of wear and tear, which means that your furniture will last longer.
- MDF is also very easy to work with. You can easily carve it into whatever shape you need, and it doesn’t require a lot of lumbering or finishing techniques. This makes it a great choice for DIY projects.
- MDF board furniture is relatively inexpensive compared to other types of wood furniture. This means that you can get a lot of furniture made out of MDF for relatively little money.
- Has a smooth surface that makes it easy to paint on.
- It is uniform throughout, hence cut edges look smooth and won’t have bits or splinters.
- Can be used to design decorative edges with the help of a router.
- The smooth texture and consistency of MDF allow for effortless cutting of intricate designs (for instance scalloped or scrolled designs) by using a band saw, scroll saw, or jigsaw.
With Vivin Furnishings’ MDF board furniture, interior designers are able to provide their clients with great home interior designs.
Disadvantages of MDF Board Furniture
MDF is a popular material for furniture because of its low cost and good quality. However, there are some disadvantages to using MDF as your main furniture material.
- MDF is a relatively soft wood product that can easily be damaged by contact with sharp objects or moisture.
- Additionally, MDF is not as strong as other types of wood when it comes to resisting decay and rot.
- Finally, MDF does not hold up well to weathering, which can cause it to become brittle and crack.
- If it is not sealed perfectly from all sides and ends, MDF will bend and swell like a sponge soaking up moisture, water, and other liquids.
- There are volatile organic compounds (e.g. urea-formaldehyde) in the composition, and it is imperative that care be taken while trimming and sanding so as not to inhale fine particles.
What is Plywood?
Plywood is a type of wood that is made from the combined layers of sawdust and wood chips. It is a relatively new type of wood, and it has many advantages over traditional wood. It looks good, is made from high-quality wood, and can be found in different thicknesses and grades. Plywood furniture is a popular choice for designers making modular kitchens. These panels are produced from processed wood, which is then laminated to create a smooth surface. Plywood is available in different grades, depending on its intended use. Lower-grade plywoods are made for construction and elements of interior design. Higher-grade plywoods can be used in the manufacturing of both homes and furniture pieces.
Vivin Furnishings in Sydney provides complete furniture solutions and is one of the best in home-interior designing and property furnishing. Get in touch with the professional designers of Vivin Furnishings for your home decoration.
Advantages of Plywood Furniture
Plywood is much more resistant to moisture and weather damage. This means that plywood furniture can last longer and look better than MDF board furniture in wet or humid environments.
- Plywood can even look better than more expensive wood products like oak. Finally, plywood is easier to work with than MDF because it doesn’t require as much sanding or finishing work.
- Multiple layers of wood veneers are used. It is a solid material to work with and use.
- The material doesn’t absorb water and liquids as quickly as MDF, so it’s less susceptible to water damage.
- Plywood does not stain because it is made from a grain, making it a great material for kitchen cabinets, beds, and tabletops.
- As each layer of wood has different grains, it provides a strong base for the screws to run smoothly and tightly.
Disadvantages of Plywood Furniture
- Plywood is a little more expensive than MDF, and the cost is largely determined by the grade of plywood and the variety of wood.
- Because of the multiple layers visible on the edge, a process of iron-on edge banding is required to finish it
- With plywood, it is more difficult to achieve a flawless, smooth cut than with MDF.
- Getting intricate designs cut on plywood can be more challenging due to its proneness to splintering and the possibility of gaps appearing at certain points.
- Plywood furniture is not as strong as MDF and can easily be damaged if not used correctly.
MDF or Plywood which one is Better
The answer to the question, which is better – MDF or plywood, depends on where you use it. For instance, if you use MDF inside furniture, it will not resist moisture, water or other liquids. However, because of its smooth surface and non-directional grain structure, MDF is perfect for those basic pieces that need fresh paint like kitchen cabinets and frames.
Both MDF board and plywood are great choices for sturdy furniture, but there are some key differences that you should be aware of. Plywood is generally stronger and more resistant to damage, making it a better choice for things like doors and windows. However, it can also be more expensive than MDF board furniture, so if price isn’t an issue then this might be the best option for you.